The Köhlbrandbrücke connects the A7 motorway with the port area.

Driving in Germany

Driving licence

Nationals of most EU states can now drive here in Germany on their driving licences. Special regulations apply to citizens of some European countries, that are not part of the EU. Foreigners from countries outside the EU need to have their driving licences transferred, and this is subject to different requirements.

Die Köhlbrandbrücke verbindet die Autobahn A7 mit dem Hafengelände.
The Köhlbrandbrücke connects the A7 motorway with the port area.


You can import your car or motorbike from abroad without any problems. However, it must comply with German statutory requirements if you want to drive it here.


Your car must be registered with the local road traffic licensing department and the registration document will be issued by that authority. This allows you to have a number plate made.


In contrast to some other countries, your vehicle must be insured against third-party risks in Germany. That insurance will apply even if someone else is driving your car. That is why it is important to choose the right insurance package.

Technical inspection (MOT)

New vehicles must be officially tested for technical defects every three years, and older vehicles every two years. In addition an emission test must be carried out every year.